Thursday, June 21, 2012

A bit of background


Well, summer is almost upon us, and the end of term is approaching just as surely as DVDs of “Braveheart” are showing in History classrooms across Scotland. Not long to go now, folks, yet already the next session begins to intrude. Ah, the joys of the June start to a new timetable, to say nothing of the three-day P7 visit. And just today I took delivery of my new Teacher’s Planner for session 2012-2013. I’m sad to admit I was more than a tad excited by this, and immediately set about colouring in the holidays in the calendar at the front.

But back to this blog… I’m still very much in the setting things up phase, so I may as well give a bit of background, because to a certain extent We Have Been Here Before. It may seem odd to link to some old blogs of mine, but what the heck, if it can bring any form of insight or pleasure then I’m up for it. 

And so, the list of blogs:

The Proof Is Out There
I’m still proud of that title. Yes, here is where it all began, with the Top Ten Mathematics Textbooks of all time (go look, it hasn’t changed much), and hymns of praise to marker pens of a certain brand. Eventually film reviews began to creep their way into TPIOT, which led to the launch of…

Maths Teacher Goes To The Movies
… which does exactly what it says on the tin. And, I might add, was once mentioned in the Times Education Supplement Scotland. However as my movie-going began to wane, so did the blog. Next up then:

maths4edinburgh
I’m still embarrassed by that title. But appropriately enough this was an attempt to run a blog for teachers in and around Edinburgh that would highlight events, resources etc and generally be A Good Thing. It ran for quite a while and had, I like to think, something of a cult following. And no, that’s not a misprint. M4E is hosted on edublogs though, and eventually I got frustrated with the near-constant demands to upgrade to the Pro version (kerching) and the warnings of imminent memory death if I didn’t. And so I vowed to leave, heading off in search of a better life. Not having much in the way of any offers, I decided to head back to good old Blogger, though I do admit it’s taken me a while to get here. I did consider relaunching TPIOT but in the end I decided that a fresh start was called for. And so here we are.

OK, that's enough nostalgia. Onwards! As well as sharing resources, I do hope to take time to ruminate, fulminate and prevaricate over this whole business of education - maths education in particular. But right now, I can head some Maltesers calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment